General Social Sciences
2020 Commencement Ceremony
Sunday, June 14, 2020
(Department ceremony — GSS graduates only)
This optional ceremony is open to all graduating seniors in the GSS program.
For information about the university-wide UO Commencement Ceremony held Monday, June 15, 2020 at the Matthew Knight Arena, visit commencement.uoregon.edu.
Because the General Social Sciences department does not host a summer event, some candidates for summer or fall graduation choose to walk in the spring ceremony. Students who are 16 credits or less from completing their degree are eligible to walk in the spring ceremony. Even if you still need credits to graduate and will be getting those in summer term, you may walk in the spring ceremony. See the FAQ below for more information.
April: Grad Fair at the Duck Store
April 26: Last day to apply for Undergraduate Degree (apply via DuckWeb)
June 5: Last day of classes
June 8–12: Final exams
June 14: Alumni InDUCKtion
June 14: GSS department ceremony
June 15: UO commencement ceremony
GSS Department Commencement Ceremony
- The GSS Department Commencement Ceremony will be held at on Sunday, June 14, 2020. Time and locations TBA. The ceremony is expected to last approximately one and a half hours to two hours.
- Guests do not need tickets to attend the GSS Department Commencement Ceremony.
- Contact The Duck Store to order your regalia (cap and gown) for graduation, announcements, and other graduation/commencement materials. The Grad Fair (where you can get all your regalia and commencement materials) will be held at the Duck Store in early April 2020. Graduation packages are available to purchase online beginning March 23, 2020.
- There will be reserved ADA seating available for individuals who use wheelchairs. There will also be an area of seating for guests with mobility impairments and stamina limitations. Sign language interpretation will be provided upon request. If you or your guests require special accommodations, please contact Nick Mahlum in the History Department so that we may make the necessary arrangements.
- Professional photographers will be taking photos during the ceremony. Graduates can purchase copies from GradImages.
- A open reception will follow. Details TBA.
University Commencement Ceremony
- The University-wide celebration will be held in the Matthew Knight Arena 9:00–11:00 a.m. on Monday, June 15, 2020.
- The ceremony begins with Grad Parade. Graduates should be lined up in front of the EMU on the corner of 13th Avenue and University Street at 8:15 a.m. in regalia.
- Guest seating is limited and all guests must have a ticket to enter.
- Matthew Knight Arena will open at 7:00 a.m. for guest seating; all ticketed guests should be seated by 9:00 a.m.
- Guests will be able to enter the building through the north and east entrances.
- For public safety, UO has adopted a clear bag policy. Guests may bring in one (1) clear bag no larger than 12″ x 6″ x 12″ or a 1-gallon plastic storage bag. Guests are limited to one clear bag per person, along with a small clutch or purse for privacy. The following items are NOT permitted in the arena: glass or aluminum containers, helium balloons, weapons, fireworks, laser pointers, explosives, munitions, or alcohol.
- For more information and to acquire tickets for graduates and guests, visit the Commencement homepage.
- Guests that require additional accommodations should contact UO Commencement team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Day parking is available at Autzen Stadium. A free shuttle service will provide transportation from Autzen to campus.
- ADA parking is provided for the day in the Columbia Garage under the Ford Alumni Center, accessed via 13th Avenue. An ADA shuttle will be available for pick up and drop offs at this location throughout the day.
UO Commencement Website
Parking & Shuttle Information
Duck Store Commencement Merchandise
Eugene Public Transit Information
How to Get Here
GradImages Website (to purchase official Commencement photos)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I register? What time should I arrive?
Registration for graduating major who wish to participate in the commencement ceremony occurs when you apply to graduate for your degree in fall, winter, or spring term for the Academic Year that the commencement ceremony is held in. If you would like to participate in commencement but are graduating in the summer or fall term after the commencement ceremony takes place, you need to contact Nick Mahlum at email@example.com at least 30 days prior to the commencement ceremony so that we can get your name on the program and log your RSVP. Graduates who are participating in the ceremony should plan to arrive a half hour early to ensure enough time to fill out a registration card (used to call your name as you walk across stage) and to join their fellow graduates in the line for the processional march. The GSS commencement ceremony will begin promptly at noon.
I’m not graduating until Summer or Fall of 2020. May I participate in the Spring ceremony?
Students who have applied on time for graduation in Spring term will have their names printed in the commencement program and are welcome to attend the ceremony, where their names will be read aloud as they walk across the stage. Students who are graduating in the Summer or at a later date are welcome to “walk” in the Spring ceremony and have their names read aloud as they walk across the stage. In order for these students to get their name in the program, they need to contact Nick Mahlum at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 30 days prior to the commencement ceremony so that we can get your name on the program and log your RSVP. If students graduating at a later date (summer or fall term after commencement) do not contact the GSS program, their names will not appear in the program.
I graduated in the Fall of 2019 or Winter of 2020. Can I come to the Spring ceremony?
Yes! The printed commencement program will include the names of all graduating majors from the Fall 2019, Winter 2020, and Spring 2020 terms. In addition to having your name printed in the program, your name will be announced as you walk across the stage on June 14.
How many guests can I bring to graduation?
All family members and friends are welcome to attend the ceremony. There is no limit on the number of guests for the GSS Ceremony, and guests will be seated on a first-come, first-served basis. However tickets are required for the General University Ceremony.
What do I need to do for graduation?
- Apply for graduation in DuckWeb. The deadline for undergraduate students to apply for graduation in the Spring 2020 term is Sunday, April 26.
- Purchase/rent your regalia from the UO Duck Store. You can shop for regalia at the UO Duck Store during the Grad Fair (April) or purchase regalia online (UO Duck Store) starting in April.
I applied to graduate in DuckWeb. Is there anything else I need to do to apply?
No. Once you have applied to graduate in DuckWeb, your name and information will automatically be included in the GSS departmental ceremony program. (However, you do need to order your graduation regalia).