General Social Sciences
2017 Commencement Ceremony
Date: Monday, June 19, 2017
Time: 4:00 pm
Location: EMU Green (East Lawn)
(Department ceremony – ONLY GSS graduates)
Optional UO Commencement Ceremony – open to ALL graduating seniors – For information about the UO Commencement Ceremony, Monday, June 19, 2017 from 9:00 am – 11:00 am at the Matthew Knight Arena, click here.
WHAT TO DO TO PREPARE FOR THE CEREMONY:
- Because the General Social Sciences department does not host a summer event, some candidates for summer or fall graduation choose to walk in the spring ceremony. Students who are 16 credits or less from completing their degree are eligible to walk in the spring ceremony. Even if you still need credits to graduate and will be getting those in summer term, you may walk in the spring ceremony. The university no longer hosts a campus wide summer graduation.
- Grad Fair – April 10-13 at the Duck Store, where you can purchase your cap, gown and other commencement accessories. Students who purchase a regalia package during the Grad Fair will be eligible for a bonus gift card of $20 – $50. April 10 – Grad packages available at Campus Duck Store. April 14 – Grad packages will be available online at UODuckStore.com. Visit the UO Duck Store website or email your question to: email@example.com for more information.
- Undergraduate Spring Term Degree Application Deadline (credit completion term): Sunday, April 30, 2017, apply using Duckweb
- RSVP for the General Social Sciences ceremony by May 19, 2017. You may still register after May 19th, but your name may not appear in our program. RSVP Closed.
- For more information on receiving your degree from the university, visit the University of Oregon Registrar’s webpage. Students may participate in the Commencement ceremony if they have graduated (i.e., completed all requirements to receive the Bachelor’s degree) by the end of Spring term or are 16 credits or less from graduating.
WHAT TO DO TO PREPARE FOR THE CEREMONY, EXPECTATIONS AND ORDER OF EVENTS:
- Printable student instructions sheet with deadlines prior to the event AND a list with the order of events for the day of commencement.
- Lodging for out of town guests can be located at the main UO Commencement hotel website.
- Parking and information about access to campus on the day of commencement is located at the main UO Commencement parking website. For a map of ceremonies, parking, and shuttle pick up/drop off click here. For additional information about parking, shuttle service, ADA parking, etc. please refer to the FAQs tab on the top right of this page.
- Professional photographers will be taking photos that day.
- If you or members of your family need any accommodations on that day such as accessible seating/parking or sign language interpreters, please let Gretchen Hill-Marino know by June 5. Any requests made after that day may not be able to be accommodated. For any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541-346-7584.
- The General Social Sciences ceremony will last about 90 – 120 minutes.
- Reception (appetizers, cake, and refreshments) will follow immediately after ceremony.
- As a way to recognize each individuals ethnic identity and dialect, students will read their own name once they approach the stage.